Real Estate Agents:
Century 21 Hand Real Estate
2525 Highway 34 E
Newnan, GA 30265
Coldwell Banker Bullard Realty
21 Highland Dr
Newnan, GA 30265
Remax Results of Newnan
3111 Highway 34 E
Newnan, GA 30265
The communities of Coweta County:
The County seat, Newnan, was established in 1828 and was once known as the "hospital city of the Confederacy." Its six field hospitals were located in churches, homes and other buildings. They served as many as 10,000 wounded soldiers from both the North and South. As a result Newnan was spared many of the ravages of the war. Today Newnan is widely known as "The City of Homes." It contains beautifully preserved and restored homes of the Plantation, Colonial, Greek Revival, Federal, Georgian, Victorian and Craftsman styles of architecture. The Newnan-Coweta Historical Society has published a driving tour brochure of the twenty-two antebellum homes that still remain. Newnan has a population of over 16,000 and is a center of planned growth and activity for the west central Georgia region. The majestic classical revival style courthouse was the site of many movies and TV shows. Renovated shops and restaurants surrounding the courthouse make up a quaint old-fashioned style square and are locally owned by friendly merchants, extending warm southern hospitality to all visitors.
With a population of 2109 (2000 Census), Senoia, has been referred to as ďOne of the gems of Coweta CountyĒ. It is located in the eastern part of the county near the Fayette County line. Senoia features architecture dating back to the 1840ís boasting styles from the Greek Revival, antebellum homes and the Victorian era. Senoia also has many antique stores, the historic Veranda Bed & Breakfast, and itís own movie studio, River Wood Studios, where several movies have been filmed. There is also the Senoia Raceway where many professional and amateur races are held.
The town of Grantville began as Calico Corner in 1840. The Atlanta and LaGrange Railroad came to town in 1852 and Calico Corner was changed to Grantville in honor of the railroadís chief engineer, L.P. Grantville. Like the rest of Coweta County, many beautiful and noteworthy homes were built in Grantville in the late 1800ís. Bonnie Castle, an elaborate brick home that was later converted into a bed & breakfast, is a wonderful example of the wide variety of architectural styles dating back to1896. With Interstate 85 at its edge, the community attracts families who enjoy its pleasant small-town atmosphere with a relatively easy commute into Atlanta. The population is 1309.
The town of Sharpsburg, population 316, is located ten miles east of Newnan and was incorporated in 1871. In the beginning, Sharpsburg became an agricultural center and its many farming operations generated much business in town to support their ventures. After World War II farming was no longer economical and people turned towards other occupations. Downtown Sharpsburg sponsors a festival twice a year, in the spring and fall, with arts & crafts and entertainment. Sharpsburg offers country living with the convenience of Interstate 85 and is known for its hospitality and civic pride.
The town of Moreland, located about six miles south of Newnan, was originally known as Puckett Station and began as a crossroads settlement of farm families. It sits astride a flat ridge dividing the watersheds of the Chattahoochee and the Flint Rivers. The town was incorporated in 1888 and renamed Moreland in honor of Dr. John F. Moreland, a physician for the railroad and stockholder in the company. Moreland has always been and remains a pleasant and peaceful place to visit and live. Donít miss Morelandís annual July 4th Puckett Station Arts & Crafts Festival and Barbecue.
In the mid 1800ís, the Willcoxon family owned thousands of acres in Coweta County. They also owned a gristmill on Wahoo Creek in a settlement called Lodi, located about six miles west of Newnan. In 1866, Captain J.H. Sargent and George Sargent joined the family and formed the Willcoxon Manufacturing Company, which manufactured cotton rope. That same year, the name of the settlement was changed to Sargent in their honor. The mill employed much of the townís workforce and, for many years, was the base of Sargentís economy. As the mill was sold to other owners, business prospered and many shotgun homes were constructed to house the increasing number of mill workers. Since then, some of the houses have been torn down, but a drive through todayís Sargent reveals the many interesting and innovative ways that folks have remodeled and added on to those original shotgun homes.
Haralson is in the most southeast part of Coweta County. Settlers began coming into the territory around the time of the Indian Treaty of 1825. Around the turn of the century, Haralson was a thriving and progressive community of large farms and beautiful homes. Cotton was the base of Haralsonís economy until the Depression hit and the boll weevil took its toll on the large cotton farms. Through it all, Haralson continues to reflect both the changes and stability of the community. Today, Haralson remains a peaceful and beautiful place to live.
A group of early pioneers from Newberry County, South Carolina settled in the eastern part of Coweta County in an area called Preston. With the coming of the Savannah, Griffin and North Alabama Railroad in 1870, the town began to build around the railroad and eventually was called Turin. It prospered as an agricultural town until 1927 when the Depression hit and the boll weevil damaged the cotton crops, almost causing Turin to fold. Around 1937, however, Highway 16, the road from Griffin to Newnan, was paved and by the late 1940ís and 1950ís, Turin was doing well. Turin is still considered a country town. Many of the direct descendents of the original settlers from South Carolina still farm their land there today.